Lemons to me used to be either a zingy ingredient in cooking, or something to have when your throat starts to feel scratchy in the winter months. Little did I know the endless uses there are for this miracle fruit…
- Lemons are now one of my three household cleaning staples, alongside vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. The peels (as well as orange/ grapefruit peel) can be used to infuse in the vinegar and give it a citrus fragrance, and these three miracle workers are pretty much all you need for the household.
- As they have antibacterial properties, I use them to neutralise chopping boards after washing; I love to use garlic but hate how it makes the boards smell. Enter lemons!
- Lemon water is apparently mood enhancing and energising for your body, lowers blood pressure and flushes out toxins.
- Make lemonade! As per the original saying 😉
- On a sunny day, I will put my white laundry in a bucket of warm water with around 1 chopped up lemon. It acts as a natural bleach which is further accelerated by the sunshine once the laundry is hung out to dry.
- I am not sure of the science behind this at all, but if i have half of any vegetable left over I will pop it in a container with a lemon.
It has kept many avocados from turning brown.
- Keep half a lemon in your fridge as a natural air freshener.
- Great as a general air freshener anywhere in the house, as they don’t mould easily and end up just drying out.
Best of all, you can buy these loose and zero waste, meaning you are getting all the above benefits with no extra packaging.
When life gives you lemons… use said lemons for pretty much anything you can think of!